Re: Scheme acceptance [no flames]

On Nov  6, John R. Hall wrote:
> Well, Perl is a hell of string processing language. Scheme really
> isn't.

String processing is only a matter of library support - the rest is a
*lot* of syntax hacks that are almost the ugliest I have ever seen.

> Sure, it CAN be done it Scheme, but a hundred lines of Scheme can
> often be accomplished in one line of Perl (which will invariably
> consist of top-row symbols).

If we assume a reasonable line length (80 characters) and enough
library support (for example what you get with MzScheme), then I think
that this ratio is pretty far from reality.  But it would be
interesting if you'll try to prove me wrong - I am using mzscheme very
heavily for a lot of scripting stuff, and such an example will
probably reveal useful things to implement.