RE: Adding a New "primitive" Method.

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Greg Pettyjohn wrote:
> OK, I know nothing about perl. I found "ActivePerl" or something or the
> other on the web. It made me jump through an anoying hoop to install, but I
> have perl now.

fine.
you'll see that perl is just a very simple lisp with condensed and
context dependent syntax.

> The name specified is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
> Can't locate parse.pl in @INC (@INC contains: D:/Perl/lib D:/Perl/site/lib .
> ) at ..\..\mzscheme\uti
> ls\xctocc line 34.

This is not MS' fault, nor any parse.pl error. It's just a wrong
installation, the module-path (@INC) is wrong.
This is the meaning of "Can't locate parse.pl in @INC..." in the very first
require statement.

either move your perlibs into d:/perl/lib (and subdirs) or fix your
installation. I guess you installed it into d:/perl/bin but moved it then
elsewhere. <exe>/../lib/ + <exe>/../site/lib/ is the current INC logic.

INC is
1. hardcoded in the exe,
2. derived dynamically with the above mentioned logic (/lib parallel dir),
and 3. optionally set in a special registry key.
(see win32/windows.c in the perl sources if you want to know it exactly)

INC stands for include path.