Re: Specialized input parsing for code/REPL in DrScheme?

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:21:55 -0400, Paul Fernhout
<pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> Several people assumed (incorrectly, probably due to a lack of clarity
> on my part) that I was proposing creating an Algol-like syntax or
> assumed I want to change the deep structure of the language (perhaps
> differentiating between code and data) -- neither is the case.

Speaking for myself: I did understand the difference between your
significant indentation proposal and Algol-style syntax. But if I remember
correctly, you stated that your alternative syntax was a means to the end
of reducing the visual impact of parentheses on newbies, and possibly on
more experienced Lisp programmers.

So I suggested the paper "The Evolution of Lisp" by Gabriel and Steele,
which also tells about failed approaches to remove parentheses by changing
Lisp syntax. This seemed relevant because, no matter how you suggest to
remove parentheses (with significant indentation, Algol-style syntax,
PostIt fragments stuck on the screen, you name it), you may break
fundamental properties of the language.

> Obviously, if you look at the comp.lang.lisp posts related to this
> thread, whether Lisp developers would want to use such a typographic
> convention is a subject of strong feelings (currently overwhelmingly
> negative). However, naturally the comp.lang.lisp group is in part

I have been regularly subscribing to comp.lang.lisp since at least 1996,
and I have been following it less regularly since 1992-93. Over all this
time I have seen countless proposals to remove parentheses or change Lisp
syntax, all of which didn't generate much enthusiasm.

Some of the regular contributors to comp.lang.lisp have much more
experience than me because they did Lisp history themselves. So checking
that wealth of material on past discussions may shed light on the origin of
those strong feelings.

Paolo