Re: long term plans?

Jonathan Berry wrote:

> Dear PLT,
>         I am excited about MzScheme, MrEd, and DrScheme.
> However, I would have been even more excited had they been
> written in Java.

The PLT package is extremely rich, with its own object system,
and needs fairly powerful primitives. There are Scheme processors
written in Java and adapted to the Web communication/scripting,
etc. Kawa - mentioned here - is one of them, there are other, like
SILK:
http://www.norvig.com/SILK.html

but, please, don't fall into the Java monopol. Java will not save
the world, and building rich, powerful, and with their specific
semantics languages upon the Java machine is for me utterly
pathological. Even if you are not interested in efficiency, running
such a system might bore you to death.

Moreover, Web programming is not equivalent to Java. There are
Tcl/Tk plugins for the standard navigators as well. Python, Perl,
and it will continue. The CURL project IS Scheme.

> Do you envision a web-enabled MzScheme/MrEd?  Or is there an
> easy way to do this that I'm overlooking?

The Help Desk of DrScheme is already "web enabled", isn't it?
And it is programmable.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France