Re: long term plans?

Hi Jonathan --

   From: Jonathan Berry <berryj@elon.edu>
   Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:54:01 -0400

   Dear PLT,
	   I am excited about MzScheme, MrEd, and DrScheme.
   However, I would have been even more excited had they been
   written in Java.  I've been searching for a good web-enabled
   Scheme interpreter -- my experience in writing Scheme-based
   educational applications indicates that teachers pressed for time
   won't install custom software applications, but they would
   probably be happy to go to a web page and type commands (that
   bring up graphics). Interpretation vs. compilation (speed) isn't
   as important as convenience.

In general, we agree with you but it depends on how easy it is to install
things. We have made things so simple, that it is like installing any other
Windows/Mac product, and teachers do install those all the time. Depending
on you set it up, we can include things in one of our bundles.

	   I had hopes for jGuile, but that project seems to be
   moving too slowly to hold out further hope.  How about you guys?
   Do you envision a web-enabled MzScheme/MrEd?  Or is there an
   easy way to do this that I'm overlooking?

   Jon

   p.s. My Scheme-C++ project is STk-based.  See
	http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Projects/LINK.html if interested.

Thanks for the pointer and a public apology for an incredible mail lag time
on my side. I did check with Nate on what he did and felt encouraged to see
what we could do porting your things to the PLT Scheme suite. Keep going,
you will get support from here.

-- Matthias