Re: negative zero

>What is the purpose in returning negative zero in the first place?

Negative zero is associated with IEEE numerical standards.  I just
did a little web-research, but you can probably do as well or better
than I did with your favorite search engine.  Suffice it to say that
in order to conform to IEEE floating point number standards (and to
exchange numerical data with other applications that conform to these
standards), you need to make room in your world for negative zero.

john