RE: MzScheme for Embedding

> Our modules are first class, they are externally linked, and they
> are the only ones that support a model-view-controller architecture
> directly. No other module system can claim this. As one of
> the designers, I couldn't care less whether its Scheme-ish,
> un-Scheme-ish, or whatever. It's highly useful if you want to
> program with components, and that matters to a small team that
> needs a high degree of reuse to get anywhere.

This would be important for my application as well.  Ideally I would
like to be able to create individual modules (or preferably reuse
existing ones) that could be loaded at run time (as needed) in
response to server-side scripts.  If you are familiar with mod_perl
or mod_python it's the same basic idea.

>   (B) MzScheme seems like it has a fairly large memory footprint.
>
> Yes, it does. Matthew is working on a version that will use
> generational copy collection in addition to Hans's "non-cooperative"
> collector. We're testing it now.

Fantastic.  Any ideas on what kind of improvement this might yield?

> MzScheme is *not* focused on educational use. If we add
> functionality to MzScheme it will be in response to people on
> this mailing list. All the functional srfis will just become modules.

That's what I was hoping to hear :-)  I apologize if I misconstrued
the focus of MzScheme.  I must admit to lumping it together with
DrScheme in my mind.  I must train myself to understand that MzScheme
is the foundation for DrScheme, and not to take my conclusions too
far.

> If you use MzScheme for your task, keep in mind its license.
> And keep in mind that we are actively interested in helping people.

The license is LGPL, isn't it?  Here at work (Windows environment) my
copy of DrScheme/MzScheme only includes an LGPL document.  Is MzScheme
licensed under different terms?  My project will be LGPL'd.

It's great that you have such a good group of people working on this
project.  That will be especially important for me, since I am still
something of a novice Schemer. :-)

> I know this doesn't report on experience with embeddings, but
> it at least answers your other concerns.

These were quite helpful observations.

Thanks,

-Brent