Re: 3 questions (portable HTTP server, GUI toolkit, HTML generation)

> Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> 1.  Is there a scheme-only HTTP server for DrScheme?
>
> Yes.  It has been deployed for testing, and will be deployed at Rice
> shortly.  It won't make it out on this release, but ought to in
> future.  I would be delighted if others would pick it up and make it
> more full-featured (right now it's pretty basic ...).  Perhaps someone
> who understands the innards of Olin Shivers's Scsh Web server could
> port some of its better features over.

Hello,

Thank you Shriram for your answers.

I look forward to the scheme-only HTTP server becoming available.

Maybe I should just dump my whole idea onto this list, and see if anyone
else has some ideas.  I will do so in a separate email.

>>       If so, does it allow
>> for a scheme procedure to be registered at a particular URL and to have a
>> procedure run when that URL is accessed?
>
> That's effectively what's going to happen.  I just came across some
> even cooler stuff that I'm looking into incorporating but, since it's
> unpublished research work, I can't really discuss it, nor add it for a
> little while.

OK, that sounds good.  Worry about performance later; I would point out that
there are at least 3 ways to increase performance of any scheme HTTP server:

1) Use Squid or similar web cache in front of the Web server
2) use "memoization" to cache values inside Scheme process (or write to a
"cache directory" and expire the pages every 3 minutes or so)
3) "render" all or most pages to static HTML pages, to be served by Apache
or other, faster Web server.  You could use the "wget" program for instance
to do this.

> I think you mean LAML.  There are lots of such efforts.  We use our
> own XML library, which has a few flags to make it more HTML
> compatible.  So you can write, for instance,
>
>   `(p ()
>       "This is a paragraph that contains "
>       (em () "emphasized")
>       " text.")
>
> and so on, using (quasi)quote to build up expressions.  Then you ship
> this off to a Scheme procedure, and get its XML equivalent.

OK, I am downloading the PDF files for LAML right now, I will read them
soon.

I also came across Eli Bazrahily's (spelling?) pages, that has some simple
HTML generation code in it too. I have not had a chance to really dig into
it yet.

Ideally I would like something that non-programmers can use to mark up
simple pages that then flow through a template, while still having full
programmability for those who want it.

More info in a later email.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo