Problems with process*

I have a nice program that synchronizes my stuff on different
machines.  (Sort of like remsync if anyone knows about that crappy
thing, it goes over a lot of files and generates some plt-like file
with changes and this is then processed on the remote machine.)

Anyway - process* is used a *lot* to get cksums and permission bits
for many files (that's on Linux), and every once in a while the whole
thing just crashes with a

  make-file-input-port(internal): null file pointer

The frequency of this thing went down dramatically when I added some
mechanism that checks only files/directories that are newer then the
last time information was collected - which indicates that this is
related to the number of times process* is used.

Any known problems?  Or better - any idea if there's anything I'm
doing wrong?  -- I've tried running the cksum think in a loop on a
single file but it was ok...
         http://www.cs.cornell.edu/eli/meaning.html        Maze is Life!