Re: [Q] units and macros in MzScheme

   Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:27:10 -0800 (PST)
   From: Leo Razoumov  <lrazoumov@qualcomm.com>
   Sender: owner-plt-scheme@fast.cs.utah.edu

   I apologize if I am asking a dumb question:-)

   Can one define a macro inside a unit and then export/import it to another
   unit or into the global namespace?

   thanks,
   -- Leo

Good question.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: We believe that macros live at compile/parse time only.
 A unit, however, is a run-time value and its exports and imports
 are references to run-time values.

Very long answer: We have a prototype implementation of something
 called unit/lang. A unit/lang will have an additional form of
 imports: a language, roughly a "set" of macros (but there's a bit
 more). Then you can do what you want to do.

-- Matthias