Re: Development/Production versions (was RE: CVS)

Matthew Flatt writes:
> I took a long-overdue look at SWIG. It seems like a decent starting
> point, and it looks relatively easy to go from Guile's interface to
> MzScheme's interface.

Recent messages on the Guile list suggest they might also be doing
some work on the SWIG binding in the near future. I believe the
current Guile binding are for 1.2

> Adding support for subclassing would probably take some work, but
> it may not be an important feature anyway.

I don't think it is important.

> If I understand correctly, Eli's code implements a different approach
> than SWIG. [snip]

You are correct.

> Is the distinction important to the people who want to use a glue
> generator?

As I understand it, the most important difference is that SWIG allows
one to connect to C++ code, whereas Eli's method will only allow calls
to C shared objects (or C++ shared objects if you know the name
mangling scheme in use, which I certainly don't). Eli's method is a
great solution for C libraries, but falls down for 1) things that
aren't libraries and 2) C++ code; which is where SWIG is handy.

cya,
Noel