Re: Development/Production versions (was RE: CVS)

At 12:13 PM -0800 2/17/00, see signature wrote:
>Here is a question: current MzScheme release is 101.
>Let say, somebody found a bug and a bug has been promptly fixed.
>What will be the bug-fix version: 102  or 101/9 ?
>and how I destinguish a bug-fix version from the major release?
>Another practical question: how would I know when to upgrade my
>MzScheme-101 to incorporate latest bug fixes?

Ah -- if the bug has been fixed since 101, it will be in version

We do not use an othodox version numbering system. Matthew explained
in an eralier message how the version numbers work -- basically each
external version number is a natural number, one larger than the one
before. Internally (ie CVS) releases have two numbers attached to
them, the number after the slash and the number after the d. These
correspond to the mred/mzscheme binary revision and the scheme code
revision, respectively. Often these two numbers move independently of
each other, (occasionally we have to syncronize them when a change in
mz/mred would break something in drscheme) usually these numbers are
not connected to each other at all.

So, If Matthew releases a new binary, the number after the slash will
go up. If I release a new version of the Scheme code, the number
after the d goes up. If a new version of the stepper or something
else changes, there is no change in the version number. But if the
stepper gets larger or beings to receive more outside input, the
number after t indicates the revision number for the stepper.

We have put some thought into the version numbering system and what
we have seems to suit our needs fairly well. Thanks for the
suggestions, but we don't really have any plans to change this in the
near future.

>I agree that for developers who are within 100  feet of each other any
>versioning scheme will work. But for those of us that are thousands of
>miles from Texas some more conventional and uniform method will be
>helpful.

As far as outside CVS users are concerned, you have, at any time, two
versions to choose from. The latest in CVS (102/<x>d<y>) or the
latest released version (101). There aren't any other versions
between those or anything like that to choose from. Generally, the
/<x>d<y> versions will be less stable.

Robby