ANTS Evolution and Interoperation

	In ANTS-2.0.0, the "ANTS Version" field in the Dante Join
packet was 2.4, and the MID value was something-or-other.  In the
current CVS (ANTS-2.0.1+?), the ANTS Version field remains at 2.4, but
the MID value has changed to something-or-other-else.  When I coded my
ANTS ABone monitoring software, I assumed that that the MID value
would remain constant for a given value of the ANTS Version field.  I
was wrong. :-)

	A flag day was needed in my ANTS topology and monitoring
software, and I need to change the approach my monitoring software
uses to identify which version of ANTS it's monitoring.  This could be
tedious if there are lots of different releases of ANTS-2.0 (2.0.0,
2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, ...), each with a different MID, and we end up
running several of them concurrently in the ABone (because once
someone starts using a particular version for their application, they
might not want to put in the effort to keep up with new releases, but
other developers might want to start with the latest release, etc.)

	I think that this is an expectations management problem as
much as a technical problem.  Which of my expectations should I manage
differently, please?

					Craig Milo Rogers