Re: Can a capsule create a capsule of another type

Hi,

Sorry this reply is so long in coming, your message got buried in my
inbox.

> - Is there any versions of ANTS around that allow a
> Capsule generate an IP packet?

Creating raw IP packets is quite contrary to the ANTS model for active
networking, so I have to ask why you want to do this?  Are you trying
to interface some legacy apps with the active network?

For an active network demo last year, we extended our version of ANTS
to slurp in raw IP packets and push them out, thus avoiding the ANTS
restrictions.  The code is FreeBSD specific and probably much lower
level than you're interested in.  Another alternative is to just use
the standard Java socket interfaces, though this isn't useful if
you're trying to grab connection-oriented streams (e.g., TCP).

> - Is there one that allows forwarding to non-active
> nodes or hosts?

Again, you can usually just use the standard Java socket interfaces
for this.  It is technically illegal in the ANTS model.  The most
recent version of ANTSR will disallow this (but I can tell you what to
do to disable this restriction).

> - Can a capsule generate another of a different type?
> That is can a Protocol contain two/more types of Capsules and one
> can generate the others at a node while being evaluated?

Yes.  Look at the Multicast or Mobile examples which have several
different types of capsules involved in the protocol.

Let me know if you want more details on any of this,

Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
	   "I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize." -- S. Wright