I am a Ph.D. student of Flux Research Group at University of
Utah. My advisor is Prof. Eric Eide. I am also
working closely with Prof. Jacobus (Kobus) Van der
Merwe and Prof. Robert
I am passionate about security research topics, especially
Cloud Security and Operating System Security.
I have been hacking on systems like
Barrelfish OS .
I am familiar with both Linux and Windows development, in both user and kernel space.
I have been enjoying playing with kernel rookits in Windows and Linux.
I am also working on a project related to Intel SGX with Christos Gkantsidis and Thomas Karagiannis , from Microsoft Research Cambridge
This is my Google profile.
unselected PUBLICATIONS... :D
- Richard Li, Dallin Abendroth, Xing Lin, Yuankai Guo,
Hyun-wook Baek, Eric Eide, Robert Ricci, and Jacobus (Kobus)
Van der Merwe. "Potassium:
Penetration Testing as a Service." In Proceedings of the
Sixth ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SoCC '15), pp.
- Rufaida Ahmed, Zirak Zaheer, Richard Li, Robert Ricci. Harpocrates: Giving Out Your Secrets
and Keeping Them Too. In Proc. of the 3nd ACM/IEEE Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC '18).
October 2018. to appear.
- Secure Communication for More Than Two Parties , Microsoft Research Cambridge, 08/2016 - 11/2016
- ... Anomaly Detection ..., University of Utah, 09/2015 -
Under double-blind submission,
More detail will be posted after paper gets accepted.
Penetration Testing as a Service, University of Utah,
08/2014 - 08/2015
Designed and implemented
Potassium, providing penetration testing as a service based on
Automated OpenStack Juno Deployment on Emulab testbed
Resolved key challenges to live clone a project in
Set up strong isolated environment given an existing
Evaluated the scalability and validity of Potassium system
- Webserver Performance on Multi-Kernel OS with Multi-Queue
NIC Support, Peking University, 01/2013 - 01/2014
- Co-authored 2 patent applications
accepted by Huawei, both of which have been filed
Ported Apache webserver to Barrelfish OS
Parallelized the default network stack on Barrelfish
Optimized Apache webserver on Barrelfish to achieve up to 30%
more concurrency than on Linux when running on 40+ cores on
Ported 13 shell commands to Barrelfish, including top, ps,
dmesg, lspci and lscpu
- Porting the
XEN Hypervisor to Intel's Single-Chip Cloud Computer (SCC),
Australian National University, 11/2012 - 01/2013
Revised BareMichael framework to replace the boot loader
required to boot Xen on SCC
Wrote a technical report on the booting procedure of Xen and
Presented talk describing the differences between booting
procedure of Xen on SCC and x86 architecture
- Programming: C, C++, Python, Shell, Go, x86 assembly, Ruby, Perl,
Java, HTML, Powershell, Racket
- Systems: OpenStack, Xen, KVM, QEMU, Linux, SELinux,
- Other skills: Git, POX controller, Mininet, Intel SCC,
- Travel by bike from Guangzhou to Beijing for 39 days, going
through 3700 km(~2300 miles), 2011
- Vice president of the Speech and Eloquence
Association of SCAU, 2009
- This is our route from Guangzhou to Beijing.
- Travel by bike for 39 days, going through 3700 km,
- This is my team, at the time just finished the 3700km
riding, at the Tian'an men square. I am the left one in
I am personally a fan of psychology.
More precisely, I am much more excited
in helping people improve their working performance or get life better than
optimizing machines :D.
Feel free to send me an email or talk to me if you are under depression
especially if you are a PhD student under depression(because I probably could
understand your world better than non-PhD student). I have already
successfully helped quite a few graduate students step out of their tough mental
situation, and I am happy to try to help you too.
I am more than willing to give it a try to help those who seek for help.