- 1994-present: Professor, School of Computing, and
Research Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Utah.
NSERC/CIAR Professor of Robotics, Departments of Mechanical Engineering
and Biomedical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal.
Associate Professor, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, MIT.
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, MIT.
Research Scientist, Department of Psychology and the Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory, MIT.
Research Assistant, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science, and the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MIT.
Research Chemist, IBM Components Division, East Fishkill, New York.
- 1978: Ph.D, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, MIT.
Thesis: A Study of Human Motor Control Through Analysis and
Synthesis of Handwriting.
Supervisor: David Marr.
- 1975: S.M., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, MIT.
Thesis: Hierarchical Shape Description of Objects by Selection
and Modification of Prototypes.
Supervisor: Patrick Winston.
- 1969: M.S., Mathematics, University of Michigan.
- 1968: B.S., Chemistry, University of Michigan.
- International Foundation of Robotics Research, USA Regional
- Editor, International Journal of Robotics Research, 2000-present.
- External Review Committee, iCORE --- the Alberta Informatics
Circle of Research Excellence, 2000-present.
- Strategic Advisory Committee, Laboratory for
Computational Sensing and Robotics, Johns
Hopkins University, 2013-present.
- Member, Fellows Evaluation Committee, IEEE Robotics and
Automation Society, 2012, 2016.
- Member, IEEE Fellow Committee, 2013.
- Member, Awards Committee, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, 2013.
- Member, Member Activities Board, IEEE Robotics and Automation
- Member, Conference Activities Board, IEEE Robotics and
Automation Society, 2012-2015.
- Member, Electronic Products and
Services Board, and Technical Activities Board, IEEE Robotics and
Automation Society, 2012-2013.
- Vice President for Technical Activities,
IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, 2010-2011.
- General Chair, World Haptics Conference, Salt Lake City, March
- Vice President for Conference Activities,
IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, 2008-2009.
- Associate Vice President, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society
Steering Committee for Technical Programs, 2006-2007.
- Member, CRA Interim Computing Community Consortium Council,
- Co-organizer, IEEE-RAS/IFRR Summer School in Haptics,
Universite de Pierre et Marie Currie, Paris, September 25-29, 2006.
- Associate Vice President, Steering Committee for Technical
Programs, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, 2005-2007.
- External Advisory Board, Robotics Institute, Carnegie
Mellon University, 2003-2013.
- Co-chairman, IMA Workshop on Haptics, Virtual Reality, and
Human-Computer Interaction. Institute for Mathematics and Its
Applications, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, June 14-15, 2001.
- Co-Chairman, 9th International Symposium on Robotics Research
(ISRR), Salt Lake City, Utah, October 9-12, 1999.
- Strategic Advisory Committee, Engineering Research Center on
Computer Integrated Surgical Systems and Technology, Johns
Hopkins University, 1999-2012.
- Senior Editor, Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments,
- National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council:
Committee on Virtual Reality Research and Development, 1993-1994.
- British Columbia Advanced Systems Institute: International
Scientific Advisory Board, 1989-2004.
- IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation: Technical
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society: Administrative
- Program Chairman, IEEE International Conference on Robotics
and Automation, Scottsdale, Arizona, May 14-19, 1989.
Fellowships and Honors
- 2016: IEEE Life Fellow.
- 2006: Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Computing,
University of Utah.
- 2006: Student Choice Teacher Award, Associated Students
of the University of Utah (ASUU).
- 1996: Fellow, the Institute for Electrical and
- 1993-1995: Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Robotics and
- 1989: Industrial Research Chair in Robotics, Natural
Sciences and Engineering Research Council / Canadian Institute for
- 1988: Fellow, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research.
- 1985: Interacademy Exchange Program, National Academy of
- 1984: Presidential Young Investigator Award, National
- 1975: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: Sigma Xi.
- 1966-68: University of Michigan
Magna cum laude with honors in chemistry
Phi Beta Kappa
Phi Kappa Phi
Phi Lambda Upsilon
- 1964-66: Michigan Technological University
Dean's list (top 2%)
Phi Eta Sigma
Phi Lambda Upsilon award as outstanding chemistry freshman