Retired as of July 1, 2007
Gary Lindstrom is a graduate of Carnegie-Mellon University, where he earned B.S. and M.S. degrees in mathematics,
and a Ph.D. in computer science. He is a Professor of Computer Science at the University of Utah, having taught
previously at the University of Pittsburgh. Among Dr. Lindstrom's research interests are data management, verification,
and programming language design, specification and implementation. He has served as an IEEE Computer Society Distinguished
Visitor, and has been awarded the University of Utah College of Engineering Outstanding Teaching Award. Dr. Lindstrom
served as founding Editor in Chief of the International Journal
of Parallel Programming from 1986 to 1993. He co-edited the book Logic Programming: Functions, Relations
and Equations. His research has been supported by NSF, DARPA, ONR, DOE and NIH, and industrial sponsors MCC,
IBM, Xerox, NCR and L. M. Ericsson. He served on the NSF Computer and Computation Research Advisory Committee from
1988 to 1992, and as a Consultant to the United Nations Development Programme in 1988. Dr. Lindstrom served as
chair of the Organick Memorial Lecture Series from 1986 to 2006.
Research Projects Prior to Retirement
- Software modeling and verification, with emphasis on resource bounding and execution environment intricacies,
e.g., properties of shared memories under multi-threaded programming
- Scientific data management, including capture, publication and querying of raw and meta data associated
with scientific and engineering experimentation
- Gary Lindstrom, Peter C. Mehlitz, and Willem Visser, "Model Checking Real
Time Java Using Java PathFinder," Proc. Third International Symposium on Automated Technology for Verification
and Analysis (ATVA), Oct. 4-7, 2005, Springer Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 3707, pp. 444-456.
- Yue Yang, Ganesh Gopalakrishnan, and Gary Lindstrom, "Memory Model Sensitive Data Race Analysis,"
Sixth International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods (ICFEM), Nov. 8-12, 2004, Seattle, WA.
- Yue Yang, Ganesh Gopalakrishnan, Gary Lindstrom, and Konrad Slind, "A Unified Framework for Constraint-based
Shared Memory Consistency Analysis," Proc. CP+CV '04 Workshop on Constraint Programming, Barcelona, March
27 - April 4, 2004.
- Yue Yang, Ganesh Gopalakrishnan, and Gary Lindstrom, "UMM: An Operational Memory Model Specification Framework
with Integrated Model Checking Capability," Concurrency
and Computation: Practice and Experience vol. 17, issue 5-6, April - May 2005, pp. 465-487.
- Yue Yang, Ganesh Gopalakrishnan, Gary Lindstrom, and Konrad Slind, "Specifying the Intel Itanium Memory
Ordering Rules Using Logic Programming and SAT, " Proc. 12th
Advanced Research Working Conference on Correct Hardware Design and Verification Methods (CHARME), L'Aquila,
Italy, Oct. 21-24, 2003.
- Yue Yang, Ganesh Gopalakrishnan, and Gary Lindstrom, "Specifying Java Thread Semantics Using a Uniform
Memory Model," Proc. Java Grande / International Symposium
on Computing in Object-Oriented Parallel Environments (ISCOPE) 2002 (pdf,
- Yue Yang, Ganesh Gopalakrishnan, and Gary Lindstrom, "Analyzing the CRF Java Memory Model with Murphi,"
CAV Workshop on Software Model Checking, Paris, 2001
- Brijesh Garabadu, Cindi Thompson, Gary Lindstrom, and Joe Klewicki, "Fast and Accurate Nearest Neighbor
Approach for Multi-Event Association of Time Series," SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, Orlando,
FL, April 2004.
- Angela Violi, Xiaodong Chen, Gary Lindstrom, Eric Eddings, Adel F. Sarofim, "Validation Web Site: a Combustion
Collaboratory over the Internet," International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS), San Francisco,
May 28-30, 2001.
Selected Research Funding
- ITR/IM: Raw Data as Scientific Assets -- A Sharable Repository for Experimental Data, NSF, 2001 - 2004, Co-PI.
- ITR/SW: Formal Methods for Robust Embedded Systems, NSF, 2000 - 2003, Co-PI.
- Fast and Flexible Mach-based Systems, DARPA, 1994-1997, Faculty Investigator.
Last modified .