I am a Ph.D. student researching the application of AI/ML to robotics. I work in the Algorithmic Robotics Lab at the University of Utah under Dr. Jur van den Berg. I am looking into methods that solve the motion planning and control problems simultaneously.
My long term goal is to understand intelligence. What is it? Can we create it? If so, how? What are its limitations? What are its manifestations? I have spent a lot of time on such questions and among the things I have learned is that we don't have many good answers yet.
Occasionally I share my musings on my blog.
|Salt Lake Community College||Computer Science||A.S.||2008|
|University of Utah||School of Computing||B.S.||2011|
|University of Utah||School of Computing||Ph.D.||expected 2016|
- Dustin J. Webb, Jur van den Berg;
Kinodynamic RRT*: Asymptotically Optimal Motion Planning for Robots with Linear Dynamics.
Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation - ICRA, 2013.
[pdf, video, project website]
Honors & Awards
- Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) 2011-2013.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE), Student Member 2012-Present.
- Assoc. for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), Student Member 2010-Present.
Around 2010 I started a student organization at the University of Utah centered around robotics called RoboUtes. In 2011 we participated in RASC-AL Robo-ops and took second place. I have had much time to participate since but I am hoping to do some computer vision work in the 2013 RASL-AL Robo-ops competition.
Utah FIRST Lego League
- 2011 State Championships Robot Design Judge.
- 2012 McGillis School Qualifier Robot Design Judge.
- 2013 McGillis School Qualifier Robot Design Judge.
- 2013 State Championships Robot Design Judge.
Utah FIRST Robotics Competition
- 2012 State Championships Judges Assistant.
Photo by Alisha Stamper
dustin dot j dot webb at utah dot edu
Room 2180, School of Computing
50 S. Central Campus Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112