mzscheme as an embedded scripting language

Hello, world.

I work on a project where we build a big distributed client-server
package. The architecture of the package is this: several separate
processes manage some devices (each one it's own). These proceses are
being managed by the central "device manager" process which controls all
of them through message passing. All device manager's logic is implemented
in some script language (perl for now). I'd like to replace perl with some
implementation of Scheme because I find Scheme more suitable to express
this application's logic. The question is "what Scheme to choose". The
main requirement to embedded Scheme is quick response time, since I
operate with some quick hardware devices. I like MzScheme for it's
functionality and good (in fact, the best I've ever seen) documentation.

What do you,  world,  think: can MzScheme be used as a quick (at least
quicker than perl) embedded Scheme implementation
or I should choose something better?

--
Yours truely, WBR, Paul Argentoff.