Re: strings in scheme

I'm curious about efficiency, since we're working on some code that is
going to be rather intensive in a few key areas.

>From what I can tell, there is no behavioral difference between an
internal definition of a function, and a letrec that creates a lambda
function.  Both appear to do the same thing, generally speaking.

But what I'm wondering is two things:

  * which is more efficient?

  * why prefer one over the other in situations where both are equally
    valid.  Is it just personal preference, or is there more to it?

Thanks.

--
Chris