Re: DrScheme as Emacs-like kitchen sink

--- Bill Richter <richter@math.nwu.edu> wrote:
> *********** feature request 3: template capability
> ***********
>
> There must be lazy Schemers out there like me who
> want templates,
> something that inserts this into the Definitions
> window:
>
> (cond (() )
>
>       (() )
>
>       (() )
>
>       (else () ))

I would definitely like this, but I'd like it to be
smarter than the Emacs template facility.  In
particular I'd like to tab between the different
insertion points and have it automatically delete
branches I don't use (and add branches if I need
more).

Imagine something like
  (cond
    ((test1) expr1)
     (test2) expr2)
      ...)

test1 and expr1 are placeholders you can tab into and
overwrite and if you start typing in the ... section
another branch gets added.  If I tab over the ...
section it gets deleted and the bracket moves up to
its correct position.  The same thing should be done
with functions, so if I type

  (map

I should get

  (map fn list1 list2 ...)

That would be nice.  Some of the necessary templates
could be inferred automatically from function and
macro definitions.

Another thing I'd really like is a SDI interface
rather than the current MDI.  I find it a real pain to
manage all the DrScheme windows I end up with when
doing some intense hacking.

And then we can add a refactoring browser, outline
views and so on!

Noel