Re: Optional arguments, assertions, type annotations

My take on this is that there are several different
concepts here.

I started developing a package called Schemedoc
(similar to Javadoc) with similar goals (e.g. insert
pre- and post-conditions and provide documentation)
got  some good responses from the list.  You might
want to do some searches in the archives to read them.

As far as pre- and post-conditions go, I believe they
can be subsumed by a sufficiently expressive type
system (where sufficiently expressive means solving
AI).  There is work in type systems for XML (XDUCE)
and dependent types (Cayenne) which expand what can be
typed in interesting ways.  Shriram mentioned type
systems for regexps not too long ago.

That the future.  For the now, I think specifying pre-
and post- conditions separately from the main code is
cleaner than weaving them into the code.  Something
like aspect-orientated programming could be used to
weave them together as required.

HTH,
Noel