Problems with mzc (Mac)

Hello all!

I cannot build large standalone executables on the Mac (OS 9.1/Plt
103p1 distribution). For example I try

(print "hello world!")

saved as "hello.scm". Compiling to .zo files works, but if I enter

--exe hi hello.scm

into the SIOUX command line window, the result executable "hi" will
prompt the following error message:

file-position: position change failed on file (File Position Error; errno=35)

The same for any sample program of MrEd compiled with option

--gui-exe result source.scm

What does position change failed on file mean? The files reside in
the same directory as the MZscheme and MrEd applications and
shouldn't need any included files anyway. What's going wrong?

Greetings,

Erich