Re: Hard of thinking using schemeql

Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk@cs.brown.edu> writes:

> We could answer all these questions (well, most of them!), but let me
> make a suggestion.  What you're looking at is the Old World of v103.
> In the new world (v200, or v199.xx in pre-release) is a lot, lot
> cleaner and nicer.  Why don't you try that out?

There are a number of problems with using a pre-release in a
production environment, as I'm sure you're aware.  Just in case anyone
else isn't, they include:

  - having to build your own installation packages in a way that is *
  completely compatible with the official release version when it *
  appears... second-guessing your distributor;

and

  - possibility of as-yet-undiscovered bugs in a release that isn't
  tried and tested.

Basically, these two are big enough potential show-stoppers to make me
nervous about using v199.xx.  It's so new, it's not even in Debian's
"unstable" branch yet.  I'll take a look, but PLT Scheme is a
relatively big compile with complex packaging, so I'm not hopeful.

By the way, the only message I have on CVS access (I'm a fairly recent
addition to the list) contradicts itself.  I think the exp tag is what
I want, but it says that was moved to 103.  I guess I'll see when it's
finished downloading.

Of course, I could just take the attitude that by the time I get this
all working, v200 will be out and widely regarded as stable.  So much
for rapid development.

Sorry if I sound a bit off-colour.  It's been a frustrating weekend of
(non-)development on a web site that I hoped to get working.  I thought
I was near the end.