Re: ICFP Writeup

My entry, the Midnight Markup Masher (#144 in the list), used MzScheme but
bugged out (dropped some attributes for some reason). Grrr.
It was fun, though.

My biggest problems were a) starting on it about halfway into the contest,
  b) trying to write it in a language (Scheme) that I hadn't used for a
long time (it proved a pleasant coding experience, but I was rusty), and c)
  almost no testing. The SML tree code turned out well, and might actually
be useful in future projects (I'm not entirely sure why I didn't use PLT's
existing XML code, though). Some of my initial optimization strategies
didn't work out. I had two optimizers: a list optimizer (which would
attempt to discard redundant tags, etc from a flat list rather than a tree)
, and a tree optimizer (which would attempt more complex optimizations).
These two fed into a rewriter, which would generate SML output without
extra whitespace, etc. The list optimizer basically worked, and I think I
got color nesting optimizations to work, but a large chunk of the
optimization code completely failed, so I had to leave it out. I'm sure it
was a simple bug, but I was out of time at that point.

Live and learn (and debug next time), I guess. This is a really cool
contest. I stopped by the Python channel on irc.openprojects.net just to
see how their entries were going, and even though I don't know Python, we
had a good chat about the evils of optimizing markup.

-John

--
John R. Hall |  Overfull \brain has occurred while \learn is active
CS Student - Georgia Tech  |  Author - Programming Linux Games