GC and portability issues

Hello,

I recently adopted the drscheme packages for the debian distribution,
since i use drscheme at school somewhat frequently. THe version packaged
is 103. There are a lot of portability issues and general bugs with this
release.

The main problem seems to stem from the version of gc that is
distributed  with the drscheme source is horribly out of date, and
doesn't work on various architectures. I tried to get it to build with a
more current version (5.3) as a shared lib, but there there were too
many symbol differences between that one and the alpha version
distributed with your sources.

Because of these problems (and it seems to broken on linux-m68k as well)
drscheme will likely not make it into the next stable release of Debian
(woody). I understand that v200 is rapidly approaching, and it would be
a real boon if it would be possible to build it with a shared libgc as
opposed to a static one.

Eric Dorland
dorland@lords.com
ICQ: #61138586
1024D/16D970C6 097C 4861 9934 27A0 8E1C  2B0A 61E9 8ECF 16D9 70C6

PGP signature