Re: data directed programming and types (was Re: learning how to use MrSpidey)

Marco Maggesi <maggesi@math.unifi.it> writes:

> So, please, let me ask for a suggestion for the original problem I had
> in mind.  I would like to write a computer algebra package that
> implements Buchberger's algorithm for Groebner basis (useful for
> elimination in polynomial equations and many other applications in
> commutative algebra).
>
> My original idea was to use a data directed programming style very
> much like in the example of the generic algebra package illustrated in
> SICP.  As far as I understand, I cannot have userful support for static
> type debugging in this way.  So, are there better strategies?
>
> Thanks again, MM

It might be reasonable to use Swindle then, which is a CLOS adaption
for MzScheme.  This helps you in implementing generic operations.
Another idea might be to ask in newsgroups like comp.lang.scheme,
comp.lang.lisp or sci.math for existing programs that do what you
want.

Yours, Nicolas.