TeachScheme! Workshops

Dear PLT Schemers:

Apologies for the duplicate, to those who are on plt-tools.

As you may know, the researchers in PLT coordinate an outreach effort
to update the computer science curricula of high schools and colleges.
Specifically, we run a program called TeachScheme! whose primary
outreach is via free summer workshops for educators.  For more
information, see

  http://www.teach-scheme.org/

[Fyi, that Web site runs solely on the PLT Scheme Web server.]

This year, we have expanded the reach of the program to include four
locations for workshops.  I include a brief blurb below.  Please
forward it to educators in your area who might be interested.

Thanks,
Shriram

     	   TeachScheme! -- The Pre-AP Curriculum
     	   =====================================

  The National Science Foundation has awarded a large grant to the
  TeachScheme! Project.  Over the past few years, the Project has
  pioneered a new approach to problem solving with a minimum of syntax
  and strong methodological support from software.  The innovative
  program has attracted widespread attention and rapid growth.  Many
  teachers now use TeachScheme! as their pre-AP (or sole) curriculum.
  The Project has also developed a gentle and direct transition path to
  Java, suitable for all students.

  The Project provides

  - free workshops
  - free on-line book (also available in print from the MIT Press)
  - free solution sets and guides
  - free innovative software that grows with students' knowledge
  - free round-the-clock consultation

  Using the grant, the Project will pay flight, hotel, meals, and stipends
  for up to 100 qualified participants per year.  The ideal candidates are
  pairs of teachers from the same school.  Teachers who wish to earn
  graduate credit may apply for a tuition waiver at the participating
  institutions.

  To learn more about the Project, please visit

      http://www.teach-scheme.org/

  The workshops will take place in Boston, MA (Northeastern University);
  Garden City, Long Island, NY (Adelphi University); Providence, RI
  (Brown University and Worcester Polytechnic Institute); and Salt Lake
  City, UT (University of Utah), in July and August, 2001.