Re: MzScheme and SML

    Hi, you wrote:

> If you care about speed, compare SML with Chez Scheme.

    I looked at Chez Scheme -- it is the only one that managed to
outpace MzScheme -- my guess was that it had a slightly
better inlining and compile optimizations.  (I don't think eval
optimizations can make the differences I see between Chez
Scheme and MzScheme).

> You will quickly find that static polymorphic typing `a la ML with modules
> is as difficult to compile into fast code as compiling Scheme, if not much
> worse. Numerous places still have dissertations on this topic. A naive way
> of compiling ML is guaranteed to be worse than Scheme.

    Thank you for the tip.  Perhaps I was just way too happy to see the
words "static typing," printed at SML's home website.
Did not know that  SML's polymorphism  could introduce extra
complexity and cost.