Re: Offtopic: How to Design Programming Tests

Hi, you wrote:

> Granted, I know very little about garbage collection, but this surprises
> me; I had thought such GCs impossible.
>
> I'm curious as to how they could work---could someone point me to a
> discussion of this technology?  (Ideally one readable by someone who
doesn't
> (yet) have an advanced degree in the area....)

    Take a look at "Garbage Collection: Algorithms
for Automatic Dynamic Memory Management"
by Richard Jones and Rafael Lins, published by Wiley (1996).

    It is not exactly a book you want to take to a beach, but
certain sections does describe in laymens terms algorithms
for implementing generational garbage collection.