DrScheme Error?

I am using version 103.5d104 of DrScheme which I downloaded from the anoncvs
site a few days ago.  Reading through the Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum
Days Tutorial I tried the following expression from para. 2.1.2 Numbers:

	(rational? 3.1416)

According to the text this should evaluate to #f, but on my DrScheme it
evaluates to true in Beginner's mode and #t in Full Scheme mode.  I should
note that I have the "Print Rationals in Whole/Part Notation" checked.

Also, another question concerning syntax for (complex?  <expression)

If I type:

           (complex?  1+3i)

all goes according to Hoyle, but if I type:

           (complex?  1 + 3i)       ; inserting spaces around the plus sign

I get an error.  This happens whether I put parentheses around the (1 + 3i)
or not.  Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Regards,
Jeff Stephens