install question

I'm upgrading DrScheme on my school system from v102 to v103. I was
able to install it readily enough on the Linux machines, but I'm
having some problems installing it on solaris:

info from uname:
SunOS peleg.cs.utexas.edu 5.7 Generic_106541-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

problem: (snippet of output of make)

make mred

c++ -L../wxxt/utils/image/src  -L../wxxt/contrib/xpm/lib
-L/lusr/X11R6/lib -R/lusr/X11R6/lib -L../mzscheme -Lwxs -Lwxme
-L../wxxt/src -L../wxcommon/jpeg  -o mred mred.o mredx.o wxGC.o
wxJPEG.o -lmzscheme -lgc -lwxscheme -lwxme -lwx_xt -lXpm -limage_xt
-ljpeg -lSM -lICE -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lX11 -lXext  -ldl -lm  -lsocket
-lnsl -lintl

jpeg_CreateDecompress               wxJPEG.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to mred
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `mred'

i'm aware that ld needs to be the system ld command and not the gnu ld
command, as specified in the README file. So I've tried modifying the
Makefile in mred in 4 different ways:
orignal line:
LINKER = $(CXX)
various attempts:
LINKER = $(CC) -B/usr/ccs/bin
LINKER = /usr/ccs/bin/ld
LINKER = /usr/lib/ld
LINKER = /usr/ucb/ld

but all of them seem to have a different error. Any suggestions? Am I
modifying the wrong thing to guarantee that the correct ld command is
used? Any ideas which ld is considered the standard one?

-bogo