Re: peasant revolt against DrScheme!

Daniel Mahler schrieb:
> I did not want to contribute to the non plt traffic on this list,
> but his is a very good point.
> Over ten years ago Latrobe University in Australia
> did something nasty to their 1st year CS students.
> about the first month or two they taught assemler.
> (a simplified none running on an emulater on the vaxes
>  kind of like Core Wars).
> After making them do an assignment implementing
> BCD arithmetic, they introduced them to Pascal.
> Boy did the students love Pascal!
> What is more, it was real easy to explain things
> like call by value vs call by reference to them
> (they knew if not understood addressing modes).
> One could even talk to them about call stacks
> and what tail recusion optimization is about.
> I have met quiet a few people, including AI profs,
> who thought that writing tail reacusive code was always good,
> even in Franz Lisp (which did no optimization as far as I know)
> and in lazy functional languages like Miranda and Haskell,
> where it just force strictness and cuts out the benefits of lazyness.

> As ancient cultures well know,
> traumatizing adolescents leads to enlightened adults :)

Hmm, I wouldn't agree with this point at all. (Jacob probably as well)
The point with scheme or simplier lisps (I teach AutoLISP),
is that it is less powerful, (dare to say even "worse" in the gabriel sense)
and therefore much easier to learn.

Forcing tail-call transformations and call/cc is for sure an advanced topic,
horrify typical students. But I teach only basics to non-techies, architects,
artists.

Even recursion is an advanced topic, and thanksfully nobody is forced to write
recursive in lisp/scheme. (though it helps to simplify bigger problems of
course)

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html