peasant revolt against DrScheme!

After about 25 years of programming in all sorts of languages (Lisp
included) I saw Scheme and felt I could eventually begin to learn
programming. This is 10 years ago. (Yes Matthias F, you did help)
If we want our students to appreciate our education, we must first make them
ask the right questions, I think. Answering a question before it is asked is
sermoning like a prophet in the desert. Why do we need first class
procedures and continuations? It's difficult to explain to someone who has
never felt the need of them, be it to make things easier or to make things
more beautiful. May be knowing some of the pitfalls of things like unix,
ms/dos, C and C++ gives a programmer a feeling of being important, almost a
magician. To them Scheme may look too simple to be of interest. If they only
knew the complexity and abstraction of exploiting all of the capabilities of
a language like Scheme. Scheme is so simple that is puts you right at the
core of programming, but that's a boundary many programmers never cross.
Jos
Jacob J. A. Koot (Jos)
http://home-1.wolmail.nl/~koot