Re: Seeds of the "movement" [was: peasant revolt]

Michael Vanier wrote:

> Now I'm confused.  What do you mean by aliasing in this context?  I got
> tired of guile mainly because of the (lack of) documentation problems, but
> I wish them the best.

I'd like to avoid turning this mailing list into c.l.s (and making
people leave because of the traffic).  Since this topic has nothing at
all to do with PLT Scheme, let's take it off-line.

> If you don't like the object system in python, you can either put up with
> it, bug Guido to change it, hack the python core, or move to a different
> language.  In scheme or lisp, you just write a few macros.

So, the problem is for you, the discerning user, to discern.  If you
jump on every weekend Scheme implementation, you will get nowhere and
simply deprive the deserving ones of your labor.  Do you trust the
implementors?  Do you like the result?  Assuming you care about such
things, do you think the people in charge are capable of taking the
needs of good compilation or good analysis into account?  If so, then
what exactly are you waiting for?  Godot?

You don't need to find five Scheme implementations to get your work
done.  Perl and Python and TCL programmers didn't need to find five
implementations of their favorite language either.  Just make sure the
one you pick makes its source open.  Then, if and when that one
stagnates or goes the wrong way, you and a group of like-minded people
can adopt the latest build to preserve it or extend it differently.

Your time is valuable.  So is mine.  So is that of everyone on this
list.  Let's spend it productively.  Standardization of Schemes,
setting aside momentarily the minor problem that it isn't going to
happen, isn't ***productive***.  Writing a cookbook for some chosen
implementation is.

> But one problem I've had is with multiple .plt extensions.  [...]

This sounds like a capital topic for this mailing list (-:.  Why don't
we try to figure out what went wrong?  Eli, did you notice this?

Shriram