Re: peasant revolt against DrScheme!

I think that at least in this forum PLT people are the most qualified and
experienced in teaching introductory courses in programming. Choosing Scheme,
I guess, was, therefore, not an accident.

Regarding Caltech (other universities as well) freshmen student pro C/C++
revolts one should remember one thing: majority of them (the ones who protest
most loudly) likely have already gotten some exposure to C/C++ languages during
their high school years.  They just might not want to learn "yet another
language" which from their prespective has no practical value.

I would be more interested to see the results of similar survey among Caltech
graduates (MS, Ph.D. level) whether Scheme class was any use to them.

Very often, as a person's knowledge and experience matures the former believes
got reevaluated, quite often, up to a complete reversal.

I recall that during my freshmen years (early 80-es) in a Russian University we
had a similar revolt against Knuth's MIX assembler. We, at least, had a point:
there were neither MIX interpreter nor compiler we could use.  The argument our
prof. was making that if one understands a algorithm well enough one can code it
in any reasonable language. Unfortunately, we won and got a real boring course
in FORTRAN sintax instead (by some other person).  I wish I never said a single
word about MIX:-)

--Leo