A Unix question (off-topic)

Sorry for the irrelevant question, but it does have to do with Scheme.

I've written a cute program that starts some program that works by
reading something on its stdin and write something in response, and
makes a server out of it.  The result is pretty nice, certainly much
better than anything that I'd write in C.  [This is my excuse for
mailing here, maybe someone will find it useful...]

The problem is when the process is a shell script that pipes two
programs: the Scheme thing works fine, but the result doesn't work
since the pipe has a buffer so it is impossible to have immediate
So, does anyone know if it is possible to pipe two processes without a
buffer?

         http://www.cs.cornell.edu/eli/meaning.html        Maze is Life!