RE: mzcom as an inproc dll

>Quoting PJ Durai:
>> Is there a particular reason why MzCom is implementedas an outof proc EXE
>> (not an inproc dll?)
>
>I think I know the answer... If I'm wrong, Paul will have to correct me
>when he gets back.
>
>The reason was to allow multiple instances of the component in an
>application (e.g., multiple uses of MzCOM in a VB program).
>
>Multiple instances of the component in a single application means that
>there's one copy of the code, and multiple threads using it. MzScheme
>uses too many static variables to be able to be able to support
>multiple instances.

Matthew's right, that's the motivation.  With an in-process DLL,
you can't even run serialized single instances of MzCOM.  As a
side benefit, running MzCOM remotely is much easier with an
out-of-process executable.  You do lose performance, but that's
usually not an issue.

If you really need a DLL, you should be able to create a new VS project
using the same source code and recompiling.

-- Paul