Re: -geometry option ignored?

Quoting Paolo Amoroso:
> DrScheme for Linux seems to ignore the standard -geometry X command line
> option.

That's true.

> Why? Does the graphics toolkit (wxWindows?) on which the system is
> based support it?

It's a bit more complex than that. While the low-level toolbox provides
support for the -geometry flag, there are a few layers of widgets
leading to a frame in the MrEd toolbox.

Thus, an X resource setting with a "*", like this:
  mred*geometry: 900x900
makes all DrScheme windows initially large. But a setting
with a ".", like this:
  mred.geometry: 900x900
would not affect any MrEd/DrScheme frame. The -geometry flag
corresponds to a "." resource, so it does nothing.

In neither case above would an offet like +50+50 work, because MrEd
tends to override frame placement settings.

We haven't worried about this too much, because the trend seems to be
smarter window managers that take care of these details in a
user-friendly way (including overriding MrEd's placement of frames).
More generally, trying to make sense of X resources in the context of a
multi-platform GUI didn't seem worthwhile (which is not to say that we
didn't try for a while!).

Matthew