Application will close on May 31st.
(Students seeking admission after this date will need to speak directly with the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Please contact the SoC front desk.)
Step 1: Get admitted to the University of Utah (admissions.utah.edu/apply).Step 2: Designate your major as “Pre-Computer Science” by informing the University Registrar or a Computer Science Academic Advisor. Incoming freshmen may be considered for direct admission to the College of Engineering beginning in fall 2016 (http://www.coe.utah.edu/admissions). Direct admits and pre-computer science students will both be required to complete the pre-major courses (Step 3) and apply for admission to the CS major (Steps 4 & 5).
If applying to the minor, you must have established your primary major before applying (students may not apply if they are in a pre- or undeclared major).
Step 3: Complete the pre-major courses
- CS 1030: Foundations of Computer Science
- CS 1410: Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
- CS 2420: Introduction to Data Structures and Algorithms
- MATH 1210: Calculus I
- MATH 1220: Calculus II (Calc II is not required for the CS minor)
Be advised of the following policies:
- The grade you earn in each course must be C- or higher in order to apply.
- You may take each course no more than twice. See the full policy on repeating courses for more information.
- Your average GPA in the pre-major courses must be 3.0 or higher in order to apply for full major status.
- Your cumulative GPA* in all courses taken at the University must be 3.0 or higher in order to apply for full major status.
*Students whose life situation has excluded them from a typical path into the computer science major should contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies (Jim de St. Germain, 3190 MEB) to determine the possibility of admission to the major.
Step 4: As you near the end of the pre-major courses, make a backup plan in case you are not admitted to the computer science major. Due to space constraints, not all applicants may be admitted.See If Not Admitted for suggestions on how to proceed.
Step 5: At the end of the semester in which you complete the pre-major courses, apply for full major status. The application opens at the end of each Fall and Spring semester on the Monday after final exams. Check the application itself for the exact due date. For information on how your application will be reviewed and evaluated, see Factors in Admissions Decisions.