Re: regarding Janos recent version

> I was informed as a reply to one of my previous mails that there is
> a version of Janos working on OSKIT.

Currently you can run the JVM on the OSKit and the Janos Java
Libraries on the JVM, and you'll have "Janos on the hardware".  We use
Kaffe (http://www.kaffe.org/) as our JVM for running on the OSKit.

(You'll need some patches for Kaffe to make it work with the latest
OSKit snapshot: ftp://flux.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/19991124/kaffe/).

This configuration does not really take advantage of the bare-hardware
execution environment.  However, we are working to integrate them
better.  The next step in this process is to release our
implementation of the NodeOS in C (really, its coming soon) and then
port the Janos Java Libraries and the Kaffe JVM to the NodeOS.

> I wanted to know more about it. We have a Active Network environment
> working "Magician". I wanted to make changes (add hooks) to it to
> make it compatible with the OSkit modules which might be required.

At what level?  Are your components going to run "on" the OSKit, or
beneath it, or next to it?  If you're a bit more specific about what
you want to add, I'll be glad to help you figure out where it should
go.  (Where are the components in the AN "NodeOS/EE/AA" architecture?)

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
	 This bit of signature was randomly selected. Really.