Re: regarding JANOS recent release

Santiago Eibe García wrote:
> Well, JVM could provide some system-level services, although at
> user-level, as local node resource management (ANTSR).

We're developing a JVM that does memory management on a per-flow
basis, but we're leaving the network bandwidth management and CPU
scheduling stuff out of the JVM (and putting it in the underlying
NodeOS layer).  This is of course, all work in progress.  All we've
got so far is the ANTSR stuff...

> When ?????

The NodeOS release will probably happen in a week or two.

> Does means that current Java version will not supported or enhanced
> with OS level services ?

The pure-Java version will never have resource controls.  It will
however be compatible with future versions of Janos.  (E.g., we will
be migrating the pure-Java code to take advantage of the NodeOS-in-C
implementation.  That should require no changes to the Java
interfaces.)

> Graphic at Janos home page don't suggest this. In fact, I would like
> get OS level services from OSKit across JVM :-(

You can run Kaffe on the OSKit and run the Janos Java software on
that.  You'll be running on the bare hardware, but there's no real
resource control at any level in the system.  Resource control is all
future work for our project (we just got started in July).

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
	 This bit of signature was randomly selected. Really.