New Janos NodeOS snapshot

Most of you probably already saw this on the AN list.

------- Forwarded Message
Date:    Tue, 23 May 2000 06:31:20 -0600
From:    Jay Lepreau <lepreau@cs>
To:      activenets_wire@ittc.ukans.edu
Subject: New Janos NodeOS snapshot

We continue the drum beat of announcements, but this one's code.
We've got a new NodeOS snapshot, and a new name for that layer: `Moab'.

In this version:
 * Support for Click cut-through channels.  Cool cut-through channels can be
   created using a special `an_clickchan_create' API call that takes the
   name of a Click router graph configuration file as its protocol spec.
   Click is MIT's modular router; see http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/click/ .

 * The primary focus of recent development was to achieve a more
   optimized, tighter coupling of Moab and the co-located EE.  This
   involved a massive source code reorg and some incompatible interface
   changes.  Not directly related to this goal was one major functional
   change: we now represent packets as contiguous data buffers rather
   than as abstract aggregates.  Finally, we squashed a number of race
   conditions and bugs.

Moab is the lowest Janos layer, essentially follows the draft NodeOS
specification and runs either on bare x86 hardware via the OSKit or on
top of a suitable Unix-like environment: Linux, Solaris, or FreeBSD.
See the README file for full status and details of what is new.

Moab is GPL'ed and can be downloaded at:
  http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/janos/downloads/nodeos-20000523.tar.gz

Send questions or comments to janos-discuss@flux.cs.utah.edu,
or look at our Web site at http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/janos/ .

Thanks to Mike Hibler of our Janos team for the good stuff in this release.

Jay Lepreau
University of Utah

------- End of Forwarded Message