I am a Ph.D. student working with Dr. Suresh Venkatasubramanian. My long term goal is to understand intelligence. What is it? What are its limitations and manifestations? Can we create it? If so, how? To answer these and related questions I am taking a constructionist approach of building intelligent agents. As such my research has been on developing algorithms to address the motion planning and control problems using machine learning. Recently I spent a year at L'institut des algorithmes d'apprentissage de Montréal studying deep learning under the supervision of Dr. Yoshua Bengio and Dr. Roland Memisevic. I am particularly interested in the theoretical underpinngs of deep learning and how it can be used to solve problems in robotics.
I am currently planning to graduate in the spring of 2017. As such I am actively seeking postdoc positions. Please feel free to contact me if you know of or are seeking a postdoc in the area of machine learning for robotics. Especially if you have interest in learning how to use deep learning techniques for robotics.
Occasionally I share my musings on my blog, Undefined Intelligence.
dustin at cs dot utah dot edu
Room 2180, School of Computing
50 S. Central Campus Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
- Dustin J. Webb, Jur van den Berg;
Kinodynamic RRT*: Asymptotically Optimal Motion Planning for Robots with Linear Dynamics.
Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation - ICRA, 2013.
[pdf, video, project website]
- Dustin J. Webb, Kyle L. Crandall, Jur van den Berg;
Online Parameter Estimation via Real-Time Replanning of Continuous Gaussian POMDPs.
Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation - ICRA, 2014.
[pdf, project website]
- John Moeller, Vivek Srikumar, Sarathkrishna Swaninathan,
Suresh Venkatasubramanian, Dustin Webb;
Continuous Kernel Learning.
Proc. European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovvery - ECML-PKDD, 2016
- Theano Development Team;
Theano: A Python framework for fast computation of mathematical expressions.
arXiv preprint arXiv:1605.02688, 2016
|Salt Lake Community College||Computer Science||A.S.||2008|
|University of Utah||School of Computing||B.S.||2011|
|University of Utah||School of Computing||Ph.D.||expected 2017|
- Fall 2013: Machine Learning (CS5350/CS6350) Teaching Assistant
- Spring 2012: Artificial Intelligence (CS5300/CS6300) Teaching Assistant
- Fall 2015: Deep Learning Seminar (CS7931) Co-instructor
Honors & Awards
- 2014 - 2015: Montréal Institute of Learning Algorithms (MILA) Internship with Dr. Yoshua Bengio.
- 2011 - 2013: Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT).
- 2011: Undergraduate Research Scholar Award.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE), Student Member 2012-Present.
- Assoc. for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), Student Member 2010-Present.
Utah FIRST Lego League
- 2013-2014 Team Volcanoes Coach.
- 2013 State Championships Robot Design Judge.
- 2013 McGillis School Qualifier Robot Design Judge.
- 2012 McGillis School Qualifier Robot Design Judge.
- 2011 State Championships Robot Design Judge.
Utah FIRST Robotics Competition
- 2013 State Championships Judges Assistant.
- 2012 State Championships Judges Assistant.